HOW TO GET SET UP FOR YOUR ONLINE LESSON
1. Start preparing 5 or 10 minutes before your lesson is scheduled to start
2. Download the ZOOM app before your first lesson. If you don’t already have the Zoom app at www.zoom.us ZOOM loads and runs easily on most devices – phones, tablets and computers.
3. We recommend using a device with a large screen so you can see your coach more easily
4. Make sure you are in a quiet room with a fast internet connection
5. Position your device so your Teacher can see you playing your instrument – a music stand or small table is generally all you need, and your Teacher will guide you in your first online lesson
6. Make sure your instrument is tuned and / or switched on and ready to play
7. If you’re playing an electronic instrument (e.g. digital piano or electronic drum kit) you’ll need to have a speaker connected or a digital audio interface so your coach can hear you – if you need help with this please ask us (allow plenty of time before your lesson)
STARTING AND ENDING THE LESSON
You will receive an email from us prior to your lesson that will look something like this:
SCHOOL OF ROCK NEWCASTLE is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Your online GUITAR lesson with JACK at 3pm
Time: April 28th , 2020 03:00 PM Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 8675309
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU REQUIRE ASSISTANCE PLEASE CALL US ON 4956 1110 OR EMAIL INFO@SCHOOLOFROCKNEWCASTLE.COM.AU
When it is time to start your lesson, click on the Join Zoom Meeting link in the Calendar Invite or email. This will automatically take you to Zoom and start the video meeting – it should run automatically without any passwords etc.
At the end of the lesson, click the “End Meeting” button in your Zoom app – this is really important as it frees up our Coach to start their next lesson.
OPTIMISING YOUR AUDIO
Open a Zoom meeting window and do the following:
1) Click the arrow next to the microphone, and click “Audio settings” (last menu item).
2) On the lower right of the window, click “Advanced”
3) From here you will see options: “Suppress persistent background noise” and “Suppress intermittent background noise” – disable both.
4) Click “Show in-meeting option to ‘Enable Original Sound’ from microphone”
Depending on your instrument and environment, we can recommend a range of gear to improve the sound quality and experience for your online lessons. Please ask us for more information.
A FEW OTHER TIPS AND RULES:
· You can record all or parts of your online lesson using Zoom, it’s easy – just click the record button on the Zoom screen – and this is great for revision.
· Please refrain from bad language and maintain good conduct in your online lessons, as you would at our studios
· School of Rock Newcastle teachers are not permitted to engage with students online or via social media at any time other than for the express purpose of conducting Big Music’s scheduled lessons
· School of Rock Newcastle may record online lessons for quality, training and compliance reasons